Thursday, January 10, 2013

Our Story

We made to the year mark last month, it went quicker than I thought it could. And as I reflect back on what was going on a year ago, I smile. Some of you may know our story, others not so much. So I'll tell it.

We met for the first time after school in 2005 in the seminary building. I actually don't remember meeting Nathan, but this is how he remembers it. I was eating a cookie and it dropped onto the floor. I picked it up, and freaked my seminary teacher (who is a germ-a-phobe) out by taking a bite. Nathan then spoke up and said, "That's not gross. Can I have a bite?" And I gave him a bite.

Our first date was Prom of May 2006. Nathan turned 16 four days before the dance, and I was his first date. Here's a picture of it. Behold it's glory.



He first held my hand October 13th, 2006 during a scary movie. He first kissed me January 7th, 2007 on my porch. And that is another story in itself.

I went to BYU-I January 2008. He went to BYU August 2008. We visited each other and had some really good times.

Nathan was called on a mission to Bahia Blanca, Argentina and left to the MTC October 14th, 2009. I went back to school the following January. I got a package from him for my birthday. I cried when I opened it because I missed him so much. I thought the two years of his mission would be so long, and so terrible. But it was actually quite the opposite. It flew by, and I did a lot. I even checked a couple things off my life goals list. I ran two half marathons, and a full marathon, I played in BYUI's biggest music show, Guitars Unplugged, and went skydiving with my dad.

It was getting time close to the time he would be coming home. I was getting nervous and excited. Then I received a letter that quite literally changed my life. On the outside of the letter it said...{"Eter 12:6 "...porque no recibís ningún testimony sino hasta después de la prueba de vuestra fe." We won't receive any testimony/confirmation until after the test of OUR faith. Open and read.}

What the. He explained that he was in charge of setting up this conference with all the missionaries where Elder Mervyn B. Arnold of the First Quorum of the 70 spoke. Nathan ended up having a one on one interview/conversation with Elder Arnold. They talked about his mission, family, and then about me. I'll just quote Nathan's letter, it's basically the dialogue between them.

*He= Elder Arnold and I =Nathan*
{He smiled (almost knowingly) and nodded his head. Then he says, "Elder, do you love her?"
"Yes" I replied.
"Does she love you enough to follow you through any hardship, support you in every calling, be loyal, no matter what problem, or stress, enough to take six kids to live in Venezuela if she had to for 3 years like my wife did?"
I said, "I like to think so."
"Is that a yes or a no?" he replied instantly.
"Yes" I said.
"When you get home, go on three dates with her. Do not touch her, do not kiss her. Go to a place where you can talk. You need to get to know each other real well again. Go on those three dates and I promise you that you'll know."

October 19, 2011 Nathan flew into the Pasco airport. I got a handshake. Our first date was to Dairy Queen for blizzards, second date was Shari's for milkshakes. (What can I say...we love ice-cream) And our third date was an Institute Fireside. (I tricked him into coming with me. I wanted to see him again, but it was a Sunday. I knew there was a fireside, and since he'd just gotten home, I knew he couldn't say no to a fireside! So I called him and asked if he wanted to go. He said yes. Then he called me back and said, "Can we make this our third date?")

November 4th, 2011. He planned to ask me to marry him. I threw up. Plan failed.

November 5th, 2011. He didn't care if I was sick. We took a short walk along the river, and ended up at the red bench. He knelt down and asked me. I said yes.

December 27th, 2011 We were married for time and eternity in the Columbia River Washington Temple.


Here's to a year of being married to my best friend. I'm excited for the many more years to come.

3 comments:

  1. Ah! I love it! What a sweet story. You guys are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! I hope the next year is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you two so much! So happy that my brothers bestie married mine! It means we are connected forever! haha. Loves!

    ReplyDelete

Us

Contact me

Name

Email *

Message *